Saturday, August 10, 2013

Getting There, Part 3 - Kipnuk at Last


New teacher orientation wrapped up with a sampling of native foods and a quick overview of what kinds of communities and cultures we would soon be entering. Everyone was excited and anxious to finally get to their new homes and careers.

I immediately recognized our pilot from  Flying Wild Alaska. A week ago I was watching this guy from the comfort of my living room couch. The experience had taken a turn from surreal to completely absurd. I felt like I had walked into my own personal tv show. Like everyone else I met in Bethel, he was super down to earth and happy to take this picture with me. He even took off his glove to shake my hand, just like in the show! Classy.

Nerves of steel.
About 45 minutes of tundra.



First glimpse of Kipnuk.



It was exhilarating to finally be in Kipnuk and I couldn't stop smiling. Alan and I took a couple bags and headed into town and the others waited for the ATV and wagon to arrive. When we reached the teacher housing we were mobbed by some truly adorable and energetic children. They were excited to carry our bags and help us with our boxes that had been shipped in ahead of time. Within 10 minutes our small army had unloaded all of our belongings and were running wild in our new teacher housing (something they love, but rarely get to do). The kids were extremely curious and straight to the point. One girl demanded, "Show me your hands!" Without much thought I stuck my hands out. "No ring." She noted aloud. The mini interrogation continued, "Why you not married?" "You got girlfriend?" "How old are you?" Luckily, the kids' 9:00 pm curfew was quickly approaching and we were able to marshall them home without much trouble.


This place is impossible to describe. All I can tell you is that it makes me smile.

Teacher Housing (East Building). School on the left.

Our place.


Blinds are on the way.

Reunited with Rita!


Lunch with the neighbors.

Stir-fry and salmon-berry pie.

Stephanie and I were thrilled to finally be moved in. The housing is amazing and all our teacher neighbors were incredibly welcoming. In no time at all we were all hanging out in each other's apartments, sharing food, and laughing like a bunch of kids. It only took one evening for me to feel at home. 

My very first classroom.

District wide meeting, bush style.

Over the next two days we began our teacher inservice, meeting the whole crew, setting up our rooms, and doing everything we could to prepare for the incoming kids. 

School starts two days from now and I feel utterly unprepared and confident at the same time. I was told I'd have around 12 students and instead I have 23, so that took a minute to sink in. Luckily, everyone is really supportive and the kids seem excited to have me as their teacher. This year is about to be one of the biggest learning experiences of my life. I'm in.

p.s.

Alaska doesn't honor temporary teaching certificates, meaning that I had to scramble like a bat out of hell to get my WA degree conferred through the state. This has been the only negative part of my experience so far and I'm unbelievably thrilled to have it off my back. Big thanks to my parents and all those pencil pushers for getting me through it. Any recently graduated teachers thinking about Alaska, make sure you get your home state degree posted ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment