Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Getting There, Part 2 - Breaking the Bank in Bethel

Landing in Bethel
Landed in Bethel at 7:45 to very pacific northwestish weather. Ross, from LKSD picked up all the new teachers from the airport and took us to the college dorms to drop off bags. From there it was straight to the district office for a long day of paperwork. No rest for the weary! Other tasks included setting up a bank account, and buying a cellphone through G.C.I. the only provider that works in western AK. Some problems with my temporary WA teaching certificate made for some very stressful moments. Things still haven't been completely resolved. I'm doing what I can and hoping for the best. Other than that, the people here are really friendly and I'm enjoying Bethel. I also got to meet another new Kipnuk teacher, Alan. He's spent a lot of time in Bethel and different villages and even has his private pilot license. Alan's been a huge help, driving me around town and helping me figure out how to get food from Bethel to Kipnuk.


Home for now.

The view.
Day two in Bethel was teacher orientation. Got to meet the other new Kipnuk teachers and my principal and vice principal, they all seem really nice. After orientation, we got tickets from Era for our flight to the village, and my new roommate Stephanie and I joined a big group to the grocery store. The way it works is you buy your food and the store boxes and holds it overnight. The next day we pick the boxes up from the store just before we get on our planes to the village. And yes, the prices are pretty jaw dropping.

Make'em count!


Things you find in Bethel grocery stores.

L to R - Me, Alan, and Stephanie

Flying Wild Tomorrow!

Tomorrow is the last day of new teacher orientation, and that evening we're all off to our villages. Can't wait to get to Kipnuk and meet the locals. So far everything has seemed more like a summer camp than real a job. I think that's a good sign. Still worried about my certification, but I'm staying positive. Will be reporting next from Kipnuk!


No comments:

Post a Comment